Welcome to Year 4
Staff: Mrs Worthington, Mr Kynaston, Mrs Jenks, Mrs Townson & Mrs Brereton
Have a look at what we get up to in Year 4. Below you will find a ‘Snap Shot’ of what to expect throughout the year, including information about our Learning Projects.
Our first Learning Project of the summer term is:
Children will have the opportunity to explore all aspects of the Norman conquest, including:
The Battle of Hastings
The Bayeux Tapestry
The Domesday Book
Motte and bailey castles
Enterprise and Careers Week
As part of our Enterprise and Careers Week, the children in Year 4 have planned, designed, budget and created a healthy sandwich. Below are some photographs of the creating process.
With our ‘New Year’ brings a new Learning Project. This half term our Learning Project is entitled ‘Burps, Bottoms and Bile’. As part of this project, the children will be learning aspects of the following:
- identifying the different types of teeth and their functions;
- identify body parts associated with the digestive system, such as mouth, tongue, teeth, oesophagus, stomach and intestine and describe their special functions;
- begin to make decisions about different enquires, including recognising when a fair test is necessary;
- make healthy eating choices and explain why;
- converting different units of measure;
- use paragraphs to organise ideas around a theme.
The children will also have opportunities to do their own research at home linked to this topic. This work will be completed in their Learning Log and will need to be returned by Friday 10th February.
Below are a few examples of Learning Log tasks from this half term.
This week the children have been investigating tooth decay and the effects different liquids have on their teeth. Take a look at the pictures below of their scientific enquiry.
During the second half term, our Learning Project has been ‘Road Trip USA’. As part of this project, children have had the opportunity to do a selection of these activities:
- locate the USA on a world map;
- find out the names of all 50 states and their capitals;
- find out about New York;
- make a timeline of famous or important Americans;
- design and make a dream catcher;
- design a totem pole.
Please have a look at some the work the children have done during our second half term.
During the first half term of the year, our Learning Project was: ‘Playlist’. As part of this project, children have had the opportunity to do a selection of these activities:
- think about the sounds that performers make with their voices and instruments;
- find out about the workings of the human ear;
- think about sound and sounds in poetry;
- explore the work of artists Paul Klee and Wassily Kandinsky;
- think about how musical instruments produce sound;
- listen to different singing techniques from around the world;
- learn how to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ in French.
Here are some examples of the children’s work:
P.E Information: Children in Year Four have their PE lessons on Thursday afternoons. Children must wear a full Malvern Primary School P.E uniform. This includes:
white T-shirt (plain white or white with Malvern badge)
- green shorts
- black / grey pumps
From October to April, children may bring an outdoor P.E kit into school along with their normal P.E kit. This includes:
- White T-shirt (plain white or white with Malvern badge)
- Tracksuit bottoms
- Jumper or jacket
Children should have their P.E kits (outdoor and indoor) in school everyday as things may possibly change within the week.
Reading and Homework Try to encourage your child to read four times a week (they need only be 10 minute sessions if your child becomes tired). Please try to make a comment about your child’s reading. Planners should be brought in everyday. Other homework, including spellings, is often handed out on a Friday. The children will have Learning Log mini-topics to complete throughout the year. They will be given a couple of weeks to research and present their information.